Tuesday, February 3, 2015

GIRLS LOVE GUNS


I tend to be a jack-of-all-crafts and hobbyist. At an early age, I learned how to fish, crochet, quilt and make something from virtually nothing. Growing up in the woods will do that to a 5 year old.

Around five, my grandfather lined up a string of empty beer cans along a fence, handed me his .22 revolver and said hit the cans. I hit the fence, knocked all the cans down, jumped up and down with great enthusiasm and asked, “How’d I do?” thinking I did great! He laughed then lined up the cans again and told me to hit one at a time. Guess I didn’t do as well as I thought I did.

(yep, that's me out by the tent)

By the time I was six I went on my first deer hunting trip. Of course, at six, I couldn’t handle the 30.06 or the 30.30 so I mostly watched and played quietly with the dirt and rocks on the ground while Granddaddy laid out for a couple hours waiting for the deer to stroll by. He landed a buck which I was expected to help field dress. Returning to the camp, my grandmother gave me lessons of tanning the hide while my grandfather dressed out the deer.  By the time I was eight, I could not only field dress a deer I could tan the hide and process the meat by myself. During that year I was also making quite the living for a young kid, cleaning catfish, trout or whatever the many fisherman caught at a dollar a bucket. Long days and a lot or work, but it kept me in pin-ball machine quarters. (Another grin)
By the time I hit 30, I'd pretty much given up hunting and shooting for other sports, although I never did quit fishing. It wasn't until recently my husband asked what I wanted for Christmas. For some odd reason (perhaps it was because I was writing a scene which involved my heroine and her new gun), I asked for a new pistol. Needless to say, it took my hubby by surprise since he has quite a collection of firearms and I'd never asked to shoot any of them. Well, to make a long story short I got my new pistol and now several weeks later I wonder why I ever gave it up my old love. I love shooting and being outdoors.
Yesterday was spent shooting my grandfather’s old 22 – not the one I learned to shoot with but the one I inherited, my new Ruger LC9 semi-automatic, and the old man’s 357 mag. What a day we had and it appears I’m getting better with each trip out.

(not too bad for someone that's out of practice and at 25 yards)
Next week I’ll try my hand again at the rifles. I’m dying to try out hubbies 8mm Mouser, the one his dad brought back from WWII.

Until then all I can think about is what I want for next Christmas. Can you say AR-15?

(and I won't even ask for a bow around it.)

Why am I sharing this? I may write paranormals, but there is a lot of gun and knife play in my series, so I thought it was time I shared a personal bit about myself. They say we write what we know and if we don’t know it, we research it. So what are your hobbies and favorite pass times? What are you researching now?

I’ll keep you posted on my whereabouts and if my next Christmas present turns into a reality… “Hey Honey, Valentine’s Day is coming up… Want to know what I want?”

Always, V
Writing as V.S. Nelson
Sekhmet’s Guardians

No comments: