Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life's crazy but writing doesn't have to be

So, it's been awhile since I've actually written a blog, what with a book release and a couple of interviews. But I'm back.

Recently, I've spent writing time working on novellas. I think I spent the whole summer doing nothing but that and rewrites on other projects. All this is good. Makes me stronger as a writer.

I fully expected to move into October working on a new historical/paranormal novel. I outlined a few chapters, named my characters, gave them back story. I invited them into my home and asked them to tell me why I should writer their story. And do you know what I heard?

Nothing. Crickets chirping. The characters weren't talking.

Meanwhile, I began trying to piece together a plot for my third paranormal novel. Which, I think I have issues with but hopefully, the problem will work itself out or I'll be in big trouble.

One day, the hubs and I were watching an SG-1 episode. Hubby was reading one of the Halo novels. I was staring blankly at my computer screen, pleading with my characters to do something other than sitting around, looking back at me, saying "Where's my motivation?"

Hubby starts reading me passages from his novel. I listened, for awhile, then it got on my nerves and I finally asked him why. The writing wasn't necessarily awe-inspiring. The vocab wasn't fantastic. He replied that I should read it and give writing sci-fi another chance.

Oh how I laughed! I said no way was I going there again. The last attempt nearly killed me.

He grinned and told me he'd rented Firefly and that would get me in the mood.

Meanwhile, my CP sends me an email. "I think you should write another sci-fi story."

My reply. "Nope. Not gonna do it."

Peer pressure. That's what it was. I finally capitulated when hubby says "But you learned so much from the last attempt."

Fine. So, that afternoon, I closed down every other project I had open and began loosely outlining a story. A tale complete with back story, motivation, plot, action and a bit of romance thrown in.

Crap.

It's official. I'm writing another sci-fi book. This one should be full length. It's already over 21K words right now and here's the kicker. I'm not bored, annoyed or anything close to it. I'm actually liking what I've written.

Shh. Don't tell the universe.

Anyway, the point to my blog today is this: never say never because it will turn around and bite you in the butt. Will the novel be finished? It remains to be seen but it's going strong.

Remember, in writing, there's one rule you MUST follow. If you're not having fun in your writing, you're not doing it right.

And who knows? You might surprise yourself in the process.

Until the next time, happy writing.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra :)
Thank you for the great post.
Congratulations on the SF novel going strong. And thanks to your CP for gently pushing you to the SF novel.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Sandra Sookoo said...

Thanks for stopping by!

J Hali Steele said...

Good for you, Sandi. Never is a big little word that has bite!

Great post.

Rebecca Royce said...

Yes, thanks to your CP for suggesting you do what your husband knew you should do! LOL

Sandra Sookoo said...

LOL Personally, I think it's a conspiracy against me ;-)

Annie Nicholas said...

Yay for more sci-fi.

LM Spangler said...

It's amazing what hubbies can do. Mine started my career. Sandi's gives her the confidence to try a second sci-fi. Congrats and best of luck on the second story, Sandi.

Liena~