Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Terminator Legend & Me

So today I am going to talk about something near and dear to my heart and that is the Terminator movies and the legend behind them.  But before I do that, I’d like to first show you all this really incredible book trailer for a book called The Cain Letters and written by an author named Pierre Roustan.  It releases December 4th, 2009 from Eirelander Publishing. 


Here is the summary:


All legends have beginnings— some are worth remembering -- others are better left to darkness.

When college student, Marcus Brennan, discovers an ancient book revealing the origin of vampirism, all hell breaks loose not just in his life but for the world around him. He is holding the ultimate weapon two master vampires desire more than blood. It is the weapon that will give them the power to rule not only the Vampire Nation but all mankind.

 

It is up to Alexandra Glade, fierce and radiant vampire hunter, and her team, the Berith Lochem, to find and protect Marcus in order to prevent the unthinkable…

 

… The awakening of Cain.

Next week, I may have a book preview video I can post here. 


Personally, I can’t wait to read this book.

 

Now, onto Terminator.  Ralph and I recently went to the movies to see the newest installment of The Terminator movie.  (We got a sitter and planned it weeks in advance; this is how two people with an almost two year old and an almost four year old who are pregnant with their third son go to the movies.)  Several weeks earlier, we’d set up the same scenario to see The Star Trek Movie. 

 

I know Terminator was somewhat panned by the critics but we really enjoyed it and I think, as a good friend of ours said, really the only thing wrong with it was that it came out two weeks after Star Trek which was truly exceptional and probably the movie of the summer.

 

Anyway, as per usual, I digress.  I was quite young when the first Terminator movie came out and, in any case, I think I saw T2 first but that is neither here nor there.  Over the years, I’ve watched the Terminator movies many times and enjoyed each and every one of them. 

 

Although I knew T3 was not the favorite of most fans of the series, I loved it. Why? Because Skynet finally won.  Does that sound nuts? Yup.  Let me explain.  In the first two movies, John and Sarah Connor (okay in T1 she’s not even pregnant with him yet but they talk about him constantly) fight to stop Skynet from doing what we are told Skynet has already done.  Even after they destroy it in the first one, it comes back in 2 to try again. 

 

I guess I kind of like the idea that sometimes the inevitable is inevitable and, for me, it was nice to see that John was finally going to become the man we are told over and over again he will be. 

 

I think this is a running theme in most of my works.  If my books have nothing much in common with each other, except for the fact that they all fall within the Fantasy/Sci Fi/Paranormal Romance genre, they share this common trait.  To be honest, it wasn’t until quite recently I wasn’t even aware of this myself.  But there is a character, maybe not the hero, it could be the heroine, and he or she has a destiny to meet if only they can become the person they were born to be. 

 

Now that I am aware of this, I wonder if I will continue to do it. Hmmm….

 

Perhaps another common thread is that each of my books has a little bit of a fight scene in them.  My critique partner once asked me how my husband felt about the fact that I was a little bit bloodthirsty? What can I say?  We get babysitters to go see the Terminator movies and once upon a time I recorded the Sarah Connor Chronicles. 

 

I’m still a girl who loves romance, multi-faceted as I think so many of us are.  

9 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Interesting post :-) I can honestly say I have no interest in the Terminator franchise. My hubby watches the movies, etc., but that's when I move to another room to write LOL

But assuming destiny. Big doings. I think we all are trying, in some way or another, to do just that. :-)

J Hali Steele said...

I enjoyed the first two Terminator installments. I like to think destiny is something we can change. Keeps things exciting.

The Cain Letters video is a mini movie worth seeing!

Annie Nicholas said...

There's something wrong with being bloodthirsty? The most dangerous creature in the universe is a mother protecting her child. I think it's natural for us to be this way. LOL

Anonymous said...

Great post! I only saw the first two installments of the Terminator movies.The first one was the best because of the romantic twist. The man sent back to the past father's the savior of the future. Great stuff.

Annie made a good point about a mother protecting her child. Nothing more protective or bloodthirsty than that.

Liena~

Rae Lori said...

I'm with you, Rebecca. I loved all the Terminator movies including 3 and 4 (which is my summer favorite)! The simple time twist of sending someone back into the future to stop your adversaries from rising was something that wasn't thought of before and Cameron really kicked butt on the start of that franchise. The Sarah Conner Chronicles were pretty fun, too but didn't have the whole oomph of the movies.

Now that you mention your theme I can kinda see it and it definitely works because I see (and enjoy) your voice in each of your works that I've read. :-)

Chiron said...

Great post!

I did watch the early Terminator movies, though I haven't seen the latest. Interesting that you like to have the inevitable reinforced as I'm just the opposite! *laughs* I prefer to believe in the flexible universe, which may be why I prefer movies like Back to The Future where the past definitely can be changed. *grin*

It's cool though that you can utilize your bloodthirsty nature in your writing! I'm still working on that.

Best,
Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

Interesting post, Rebecca.

The theme that runs through my stories besides the mystery is family.

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

Liked the post, Rebecca.
I recently 'discovered' Terminator through The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Wasn't at all my fancy but the series reconciled me to it and now I wanna watch the whole thing, esp 4 coz, lol, Christian Bale's in there!

Agree with Annie - nothing more fearful than a mother protecting her children. The next to fear? A woman scorned!

Hugs!

Christa Paige said...

Awesome post! I too saw T2 first and DVRed the Sarah Connor Chronicles so hubby and I could enjoy it once our two kids went to bed.

I like the idea of having some kind of destiny the hero/heroine is working toward. It gives a kind of motivation for their drive and what they are striving for.

And I am all for a little bloodthirsty fighting!

Thanks for sharing.
Christa